Monday, March 30, 2009

Poor Communication and the Aftermath

My most recent mishap when information was poorly communicated in the work place occurred just before I left for spring break. I had a last minute rearrangement of my test schedule which was hectic enough. The new schedule had me taking a test right in the middle of one of the classes I was to be teaching the next night. I called my employer to let her know that I would not be able to teach my class that night, but instead of speaking to my boss, I spoke with one of the students. I gave her the message and told her to pass it on to my boss. Apparently after many frantic phone calls about my whereabouts the next day, I realized my boss never got the message. The consequences were not great for me since the lack of communication fell on many parties. To fix the problem in the future, a message book could be established at the desk or only certain people could be allowed to answer the phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment